Thursday, March 20, 2014

Personal

I guess I should tell you guys a bit about myself. I am an 18 year old, recent high school graduate. I am also female to male transgender. I live in NC but will soon be moving back to Ohio where I'm from to start college. I will be a psychology major and hope to one day have my PhD and run my own counseling practice. I want to help people who have felt as bad and alone as I have growing up. I come from a very tight knit family but for a long time I was terrified to tell them who I really was, especially my parents (my father is a complete homophobe). When I was 14, I attempted suicide but luckily my best friend doesn't know how to knock or ask permission before walking into someone's house lol. After that I came to terms with who I was and decided that I could have the life I'd always dreamed of and I wasn't going to let anyone take that from me or make me feel so bad that I took it from myself. Now at age 18, I am very open about who I am with everyone but my parents. Somehow they haven't completely caught on. My friends and the rest of my family are very supportive, most days I don't know what I would do without them. My best friend, the same one that saved my life, lets me leave a lot of my clothes, like shirts and ties, at her house and I have a key so I can get in and get them whenever I want. My aunt and uncle who are like my parents and most likely will be when I get married someday, have been amazing. They are supportive and they make sure that I know no matter what I am loved. My grandfather, who I thought would be against it has also been so amazing. In fact he was just more upset that I waited so long to tell him the truth, he thought I didn't trust him, I feel kind of dumb for ever thinking my sexuality or gender identity would change his love for me. And my awesome cousin, she is almost twice my age and we didn't actually meet until 2009, but since then she has been my rock and my go to for advice. She is always willing to take a few minutes even when she is crazy busy which she usually is, to help me out or give advice on whatever I need. I know this is getting kind of long so I will just finish with this, if you ever feel different or alone and feel taking your life is your only escape, please know that suicide is not the answer. You are cheating yourself out of the life you deserve and leaving people who love you behind. There are always people out there who love you and who will love you no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment